My Best Walnut Roll Recipe
Walnut roll is traditionally prepared during the holidays in Croatia. It’s packed with flavour and, for me personally, best when dough layer is fairly overpowered by its more attractive neighbour, walnut layer. Generous amount of walnuts ensures enough moist that makes the roll so delicious.
Its other famous, almost a twin, brother is a poppy seed roll and people often debate on which one is better.
There is no doubt as far as I am concerned. I am not a big poppy seed fan and my one and only love when it comes to rolls, will always be a walnut roll.
Enough of sentimentality, lets explain how it should be done.
- 3 rolls
- Prep time: 40 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 10 Minutes
For the dough
For the filling
- Mix together softened butter or lard, sugar and egg yolks. Then add sour cream and lemon zest. Add the flour along with the baking powder and knead the dough until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for half an hour.
- Mix ground walnuts and sugar. Heat the milk up to the boiling point and pour over the walnuts. Mix well and allow to cool slightly. Add rum and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks appear and carefully mix them into the walnut mixture.
Assembling and baking
- Divide the dough into three equal parts. Roll out each piece of dough into a rectangular shape, measuring approximately 35×20 cm. The dough should be rolled out to a thickness of approx. 3 mm.
- Coat the dough with a third of the filling and roll. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat the process with the remaining two pieces of dough.
- Coat the rolls with melted butter. Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C or 360 F for about half an hour. Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy that lovely taste.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go