Weeknight meals are always tricky for me. I have trouble tearing myself away from my laptop to prepare supper. I am admittedly a workaholic. So I like to keep meal prep quick and simple like many of you. This recipe is a one-pot dinner of lemon chicken piccata that I paired with my easy sheet pan gnocchi and veggies to provide a filling and delicious dinner. The best part is that it is not only easy to prepare, but it is also easy to clean up. The chicken is so moist and delicious. The flavour is so yummy with the lemon, salty capers, dill and subtle notes of white wine.
Lemon Chicken Piccata
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes Cook time: 25 Minutes Total time: 40 min
- * 4 x 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 8 thin filets
- * 1/2 cup flour, divided
- * 1/2 tsp salt
- * 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- * 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- * 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- * 3 shallots, minced
- * 4 cloves garlic, minced
- * 1/2 cup dry white wine
- * 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth, divided
- * Juice from one lemon
- * 1/4 cup capers, drained
- * Lemon slices
- * 3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- * Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to flatten
- * Add 1 tsp of flour to a small bowl and set aside.
- * Place remaining flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of chicken evenly with salt, pepper, and mustard. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- * Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan and fry 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- * Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil in pan and swirl to coat. Add shallots to pan and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup of broth to reserved 1 teaspoon flour and stir until smooth. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half (about 5 minutes). Stir in flour mixture and cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and capers. Return chicken to the skillet and use a spoon to pour sauce over each piece. Sprinkle with dill, lemon slices, and serve.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!