Soft Chewy Valentines Sugar Cookies
I am not a huge fan of sugar cookies because they typically are crispy and I love a soft chewy cookie. This sugar cookie recipe however is soft, chewy, and flavorful because of the freeze dried strawberries that go into the recipe. For this recipe I chose to make these cookies strawberry flavored and filled them with a homemade buttercream filling for sandwich cookies. I can tell you from experience, you can omit the freeze dried strawberries and make them as simple sugar cookies and they still turn out very flavorful, soft and chewy. I used heart cookie cutters because I’m having a special valentine breakfast for my grandies. They are going to love them! I had different sizes of heart cookie cutters and decided to make a couple of different varieties with the same cookie dough.
This recipe is very versatile, you can flavor them anyway you want by simply adding your favorite flavoring instead of the vanilla. You can also color them by adding drops of gel food coloring to make them the color of your choice. If you do this, I recommend you add one drop at a time until you achieve the color that you want.
If you’ve never used freeze dried fruit, I recommend you give it a try. It is a great way to add natural flavorings to your recipes without adding food dyes. Target has several flavors, including a yummy blueberry.
If you are looking for an easy and last-minute recipe for Valentines, this is a perfect recipe for you. Depending on the size of cookie cutters that you use, you can yield anywhere between 24 and 30 cookies, maybe more if using smaller cookie cutters.
Thank you for stopping by.
If you’d like to see more of what I cook and love to do, please visit me at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/
Alright, let’s get baking!
- 24 Cookies
- Prep time: 30 Minutes|Cook time: 8 Minutes|Total time: 38 Minutes
For the cookies
For the cookies
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix to fully incorporate.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar, mix until the dough is well combined. It will be thick but not too sticky. The dough should come together to form a cohesive ball.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla. Pour into the butter, sugar and dry ingredients and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and enjoy!
- On a lightly floured surface, remove dough from bowl and knead just enough to achieve a smooth dough.
- Roll out dough to approximately 1/4 inch thick and use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out cookies. I used hearts for valentines.
- Place on parchment lined cookie pan or a silpat mat and bake in pre-heated 350° F oven for approximately 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, frost the backside of one cookie with your favorite cookie filling and place a second cookie on top to make into a sandwich.
- The freeze dried strawberries are typically in the dried fruit isle at Target.