Vegan Blueberry and Pecan French Toast
This is one of my favourite brunch recipes, which was surprisingly easy to veganize, with the addition of cornstarch and oat milk to substitute for the eggs and dairy milk! The blueberries are cooked with maple syrup until they pop and thicken, which adds a tangy sweetness. The coconut yoghurt adds some creaminess, and the toasted pecans add a lovely nutty crunch.
This is a really adaptable recipe, you could use raspberries or blackberries instead of blueberries, and you could use walnuts, pistachios, or hazelnuts instead of pecans. You could also of course use your favourite milk, almond milk would work just as well. This is the perfect veganuary brunch!
- 2 Servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 10 Minutes|Total time: 25 Minutes
For the french toast
For the blueberry syrup
For the yoghurt
- Start with your blueberry syrup. In a non-stick pan on a medium heat, add your maple syrup, sugar, blueberries, vanilla, and salt. Gently heat, stirring occasionally until the blueberries start to pop and the syrup turns purple. Take off the heat and transfer to a smaller dish or bowl, and set aside.
- Clean out your pan, and return to the hob. Add your whole pecans, and lightly toast on a medium/high heat until deep brown. Remove from the pan, and roughly chop up.
- Next, prepare your french toast mixture. Whisk together your oat milk, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, and turmeric. The turmeric isn't essential, just helps to give it that yellow colour that would come from eggs. Add a heaped tablespoon of coconut oil to your pan, and heat on medium/high.
- While the coconut oil melts, dunk your thick slices of bread into the oat milk mixture, allow excess to drip off, and place in the pan. Leave to cook undisturbed for a few minutes, until the bread has a golden brown crust, then flip.
- While that's cooking, prepare your yoghurt. Using an electric whisk, whisk together your coconut yoghurt, sugar, and vanilla, until the sugar has dissolved.
- When your toast is golden on both sides, remove from the pan and stack up on a plate. Add a dollop of your yoghurt, then top with your blueberry syrup, toasted pecans, fresh blueberries, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!