Italian Sausage Sheet Pan With Olive and Lemon Tapenade
This is a super simple sheet pan dinner with Italian sausages, sweet baby peppers, artichoke hearts, baby potatoes, shallots, and cherry tomatoes. It's topped with a black olive and lemon tapenade, parsley, charred lemons, lemon zest, and chilli flakes. This recipe is really adaptable, it would also work really well with pork chops or chicken legs instead of Italian sausage, or fennel instead of artichoke! This is a perfect flavourful and easy weeknight meal, and you can make the tapenade ahead of time to make things even easier.
This was inspired by Matty Matheson’s pork chops sheet pan with green olive tapenade, from his new book Homestyle Cookery.
- 2 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 50 Minutes
For the sheet pan
For the tapenade
- Start by preparing your potatoes. Preheat your oven to 200℃. Boil your baby potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain, then add back to your pot. Add a good drizzle of olive oil, half of your garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and give a good shake until well coated.
- Meanwhile, get a roasting tray or sheet pan with a splash of vegetable oil in the oven. Once preheated, carefully remove the hot tray from the oven, and add in your potatoes. Lightly crush with a glass, then into the oven for 10 minutes. This is so we can get the potatoes a bit crispy before we add in the other vegetables.
- While your potatoes are in the oven, prepare your vegetables. Over a large bowl, crush two or three tinned plum tomatoes. This is to give the vegetables a light sauce, but not so much to make the dish soggy.
- Add 3 tbsps olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Add in your shallots, peppers, and artichoke, and toss until everything is well coated.
- Remove your potatoes from the oven, then add in your vegetables. Pour over any leftover sauce, then nestle in your sausages. Return the tray to the oven for around 30-40 minutes, or until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are golden, turning the sausages every 15 minutes.
- Add in your cherry tomatoes when there's 10 minutes left.
- While everything's in the oven, prepare your tapenade. Using a blender or food processor, pulse your olives until fairly smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, then add your chopped parsley, lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper. Add olive oil to reach your desired consistency - I like a chunkier tapenade, so I didn't add much olive oil.
- Serve your tapenade over the vegetables and sausages, and garnish with some more parsley, lemon zest, chilli flakes, and charred lemons. Enjoy!