Vegan Jiaozi Dumplings
I’ve only recently started making my own dumplings at home, but these are my new favourite - without the pork dominating the majority of the filling, the flavours of the vegetables really come through. That being said, you can of course add some ground pork or even shrimp to this recipe, just try not to let it overpower the other flavours. I've added a crispy skirt here using a cornstarch slurry recipe from bon appetit, but this is optional. I’ve served mine with a sesame dipping sauce and some charred pak choi, but serve with your favourite chinese sides. The perfect meal for for veganuary!
- 40 Dumpling
- Prep time: 45 Minutes|Cook time: 5 Minutes|Total time: 50 Minutes
For the dumplings
For the crispy skirt
For the dipping sauce
- Start by finely chopping all your veg. Add your cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, and scallions to a pan with a splash of sesame oil and cook until just beginning to soften.
- Add your garlic, ginger, and chives, then cook for a further few minutes until soft. Stir through vinegar, soy, chilli oil, sesame oil, and season to taste. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, get your dumpling wrappers. Dip your finger in water and wet one edge of the wrapper, then add 1 tsp of your mixture.
- Start by pinching the end shut, then fold one side over your thumb and squeeze shut to create a pleat. Repeat for 6 or 7 folds, then give one final squeeze along the edge to seal everything. Repeat until you run out of filling.
- Make your cornstarch slurry in a measuring jug, and whisk well to combine.
- Add a splash of vegetable oil to a non-stick pan on a medium heat, then arrange 6-8 of your dumplings in a spiral pattern in the middle of the pan. Allow to cook until just beginning to get some colour.
- Give your slurry another stir so the cornstarch and flour don't sink to the bottom, then add 0 ml of the slurry to the pan. Turn down to medium and cover for 5 minutes, or until the dumpling wrappers are soft and the slurry has cooked down.
- Carefully put a plate on top of the dumplings then flip out on to the plate. Drizzle with chilli oil and sprinkle over some sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
- Make your dipping sauce by whisking together sesame oil, soy, honey or agave, vinegar, and sesame seeds. Serve with the dumplings, and enjoy!