Strawberry Rolls – Cream Cheese Almond Icing
The perfect Valentines day spin on a classic cinnamon roll! Introducing the strawberry roll with a cream cheese almond icing! These would make the perfect Valentines gift for a friend, family, or co-worker! The soft dough and burst of strawberry filling marry perfectly to the rich and smooth cream cheese frosting. This recipe certainly takes a little time, but it is worth it for a special occasion. I created this recipe for a cooking class. The group wanted to do a Valentines day themed breakfast. The classic cinnamon roll is delicious, but simply wouldn't cut it for the special theme. Make them for yourself or make them for a friend and they will ask you to make them every year!!! Enjoy friends! Tag your recipes @haymaderecipes and foodtalk!!
- 4 rolls
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 35 Minutes
Cream Cheese Almond Icing
- Start by making your dough. In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of whole milk for 1 minute. Warming it to reach a temperature of 105 degrees.
- Sprinkle the packet of yeast over the milk. Do not stir. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- The yeast will still be on the surface. After the 5 minutes, stir in the sugar, melted butter, salt, eggs.
- Once combined, pour the milk mixture into your stand mixer bowl using the dough hook attachment. Add in the 4 cups of flour one at a time.Let the dough hook run for 6 minutes creating a stretchy dough ball. Scraping the sides as needed. If you do not have a stand mixer with a dough hook, simply mix the milk mixture and flour with a rubber spatula and transfer to a floured surface kneading by hand for 6-8 minutes.
- Once the dough is kneaded and stretchy-smooth, transfer the dough ball to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with foil or a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until it has doubled in size. This step is VERY important to create a fluffy roll in the end. I like to put my bowl in my oven under "keep warm" mode.
- After your dough has doubled in size, transfer to a floured surface. I like to lightly dust my giant wood cutting board for this. Roll out your dough into a 21''x16'' rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. This does not have to be exact, just close enough.
- Spread 3/4 stick softened butter over the entire stretch of dough using the back of a spoon or pastry brush.
- Spread 1 cup of strawberry jam over the butter evenly. You don't want big clumps of jelly, this will cause oozing. (Very thin layer is all you need)
- Sprinkle 1 1/5 cups of chopped strawberries over the jam-butter spread.
- Start rolling the dough from the long side top to bottom. Roll tightly and seal edges by pinching the dough when you reach the end.
- Cut the dough log into 1 1/2 - 2 inch slices. You should end up with around 12-14 rolls. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Make sure to not smush them so they can't spread out a little. Give them a little breathing room.
- Cover back up with your towel or foil and let rise another 45 minutes in warm place. ( I like to use my oven on keep warm).
- Once risen, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While your rolls are baking, make your icing.In a medium microwave safe bowl, soften your cream cheese and butter. (you don't want to melt them, just soften)
- Once soft, stir in your powdered sugar, almond extract, and food coloring. The icing will be very thick at first, keep mixing by hand until you have a smooth thicker consistency.When the rolls are done baking, let cool 5 minutes so icing does not completely melt. Ice your rolls, and decorate with your favorite sprinkle and more chopped strawberries.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go