Red & Green Cherry Icebox Cookies
I love shortbread cookies. I mean who doesn't love delicious buttery soft cookies!?
I find shortbread one of the most enjoyable cookies to make due to their versatility. If you simply change up the flavours, having shortbread cookies can be a new experience every time! These red and green cherry icebox cookies are the perfect example of this. They are made with a traditional shortbread recipe, but they are filled with red and green preserved cherries, and chunks of pecans.
These icebox cookies have very few ingredients and are super easy to make! Psst, they also taste wonderful with some coffee or tea!
- 30 cookies
- Prep time: 30 Minutes|Cook time: 10 Minutes|Total time: 40 Minutes
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and smooth. Add in egg and vanilla extract.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a spatula, mix in the butter mixture from Step 1.
- Stir in cherries and chopped pecans.
- Dump the mixture onto your countertop and gently knead it until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into half. Shape both halves into logs and cover with plastic wrap. Twist the ends of the plastic wrap around the ends of the logs to seal it.
- Refrigerate the logs for at least 2 hours (or for up to 2 days)
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg F.
- Prepare a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cut the logs into 2 inch cookies and arrange them on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 mins until the cookies are golden brown.
- Cool completely