Sweet Potato Gnocchi in a Rosemary Sage Brown Butter Cream Sauce
Let’s talk about ruts. I’ve been in a cooking rut for ages. All kinds of baking recipes inspire me daily, but I just haven’t felt like cooking! Not good! Folks...it IS possible to order pizza too many times.
My go-to recipes just weren't appealing to me anymore and I wasn't finding inspiration for new savory recipes. One night while eating pizza, I was looking around my kitchen and my eyes landed on the bag of sweet potatoes that had been on my counter for weeks. It got me brainstorming and gnocchi was the answer!
I had never made gnocchi from scratch before. It seemed like a daunting task, but I assure you it isn’t! The cheesy, garlicky sweet potato clouds in the cream sauce will win over the entire family
- 8 Servings
- Prep time: 35 Minutes|Cook time: 25 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours
Rosemary Sage Brown Butter Cream Sauce
- Using a fork, prick sweet potatoes all over. Microwave 5 minute increments until softened. Cut each in half and cover with foil for about 10 minutes (until cooled off a bit). Scoop flesh out of the skins (or simply peel skin off) and put flesh into a large bowl. Mash together with a fork or potato masher.
- Add mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic, thyme and salt to sweet potato. Add cream. Mix all together with a fork to keep the mixture fluffy. Add flour ½ cup at a time and mix with a wooden spoon. Stop adding flour when the dough forms. You may not use all 2 3/4 cups.
- Dust a clean counter with flour. Pour dough onto counter and knead into a smooth ball with your hands. Cut into 6 even wedges. Starting with one wedge, roll into a log and then into a long strip about 15 inches long. Cut the strip into 15 pieces, 1 inch pieces. Add flour to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Place formed pieces onto baking sheet while you make the rest of them. Repeat with the rest of the dough wedges.
Cooking Gnocchi and Preparing Sauce
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add gnocchi 1/3 of the gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi float to the top, about 5 minutes. Grease baking sheet with nonstick spray. Remove cooked gnocchi with slotted spoon from water and drain on greased baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the gnocchi.
- While gnocchi cooking, begin prepping sauce.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until it begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes. Careful not to burn. Stir in the rosemary and sage. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the cream. Whisk in the parmesan, cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce for 3-5 minutes, whisking until smooth. Keep warm over low heat.
- When all gnocchi cooked, add to pan with sauce and combine.
- Serve warm topped with shredded Parmesan
- Will keep for 3-4 days in fridge. Put in airtight container
- Essential to add in the flour 1/2 cup at a time. You may not need all of the flour to get desired dough consistency
- Can freeze uncooked gnocchi. Place fresh cut gnocchi flat on baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, can transfer to freezer bag for up to 30 days
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go