Apple Streusel Muffins
Most apple muffin recipes tend to be too light on the apple flavor for my taste, so I set out to make the appleyest muffin around. This one contains both applesauce AND chopped apples, so it is super moist and flavorful. Note: This recipe makes 1 dozen standard muffins AND 1 dozen mini muffins. If you do not have a mini muffin pan, you can reserve the leftover batter and once the first batch is done, use the remaining batter to make 3-4 standard sized muffins.
Also, consider doubling or tripling the streusel topping and keeping it in the freezer. That way, whenever you have an apple muffin craving, you are that much closer to satisfying it.
- 24 Muffins
- Prep time: 30 Minutes|Cook time: 25 Minutes|Total time: 55 Minutes
Streusel Topping Ingredients
Apple Muffin Ingredients
Streusel Topping Instructions
- Mix all the ingredients except butter in a medium bowl. Transfer to your food processor. Scatter in butter, then pulse 10 times. Process continually for 10-15 seconds, only until no visible lumps of butter appear. Transfer mix back into medium bowl and press together to make one cohesive mass.
- Prepare streusel using directions above. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Line a 12 count muffin tin AND a 12 count mini muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine oil, both sugars, and whisk well to combine. Add eggs and whisk to incorporate. Add yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla, and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until just combined. A few streaks of flour are ok. Add the chopped apple and mix to combine.
- Spoon the batter evenly into each cupcake liner, filling 3/4 of the way. Break off marble sized pieces of streusel off the large mass of streusel topping, and lightly press a small handful into the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake the mini muffins for an additional 9-10 minutes, and the larger muffins for an additional 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the pan for about 15 minutes, and then remove from pan and cool on a rack for about an hour. If you try to remove the paper liners when the muffins are still warm, the muffin will stick to the liner.
- Once muffins are completely cool, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go