Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you like chicken tortilla soup, you are going to love this recipe! This recipe for chicken tortilla soup is different because it has a creamy base with the addition of chunky chicken, beans and corn. The flavorful base actually thickens the soup the way tortilla chips do, so you don’t need as many, making this a really healthy soup! It is a hearty, filling meal so I typically serve this with a nice big salad and some extra tortilla chips!
Top this off with a squeeze of lime juice, some crunchy tortilla chips, avocado, cheese and cilantro. There are so many toppings you can add, and I just use whatever I have on hand.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 40 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 375. Place the chicken breasts on a parchment lined sheet tray. Rub them with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool, then shred it and set aside.
- While the chicken is baking, heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery and sauté until they are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the adobo, cumin, and chili powder and stir to coat the spices on the veggies, about 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cilantro stems and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cilantro stems. Using an immersion blender, or blender/food processor, blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture back in the pot and turn it to medium heat. Add the shredded chicken, black beans, corn, broth, salt and tortilla chips. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the lime juice. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips, cilantro fresh avocado and cheese!
- You can easily make this soup vegetarian by omitting the chicken, and using water or vegetable broth!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go