I keep my beef stew simple using cubes of top round roast, potatoes, and carrots. The other ingredients are beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, and flour. I have used a bottom round roast, chuck roast, and arm roast for this recipe and each meat cut works perfectly for this stew.
Crock-Pot Beef Stew
In the winter I love to use my crock-pot for evening meals. I’ve made crock-pot beef stew weekly since the first of the year. We love this recipe and it’s not at all difficult to make and is so delicious!
The key to making crock-pot beef stew extra tasty is to brown the meat in flour seasoned with salt and pepper before putting it into the crock-pot. I start by cutting one roast into cubes.
After I’ve cubed the meat, I toss half of the cubes into a large plastic bag to which I’ve added a cup of flour, 2 tsp. of salt, and a tsp of pepper. The cubes are browned in 3 T. of hot olive oil.
After the chunks of beef are brown, I add them to the crock-pot. While the meat is browning, I peel and chop the carrots and potatoes. Then toss the other half of the beef cubes into the flour mixture, brown, and add to the crock-pot. Don’t forget to scrape every browned morsel from the pan. They add great flavor to the stew.
Add the potatoes and carrots to the crock-pot and then top with 4 cups of beef broth and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low until it’s done. 6 hours is perfect but mine usually has to cook up to 10 hours until I’m home from work.
Serve with rolls and a salad for a hearty winter meal!
- 8 Servings
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 6 Hours|Total time: 6 Hours 20 Minutes
- Cut beef into bite sized cubes. Toss in a plastic bag containing flour, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Brown half of the cubes in 3 T. of EVOO. After the beef is brown, add to crock-pot, being sure to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Heat 3 more T. of EVOO and brown the rest of the beef.
- While the beef cooks, cut the carrots and potatoes into slices or cubes and add to the crock-pot. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper.
- Top the beef and vegetables with one carton of beef broth and one can of cream of mushroom soup.
- Cook on low up to 10 hours. (It should be done in 6 hours on low.)
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go