This subtly flavored salad really celebrates the chickpeas, fried or roasted eggplant adds the perfect additional texture to this vitamin-rich, full of fiber, protein, iron, and perfect for keeping us going on busy days.
Eggplant Chickpea Salad
This easy Eggplant Chickpea Salad is made with only 2 main ingredients, fresh herbs, spices, and a tangy garlic and lemon dressing!
This recipe calls for two main ingredients – eggplant and chickpea. I mostly use canned chickpeas but feel free to use raw chickpeas as well (who has time for this? ))). If you’re going to use raw chickpeas there’s more preparation time involved.
This how you’d go about it. Place a cup of chickpeas in a pot/bowl of cold water for 8-12 hours. Then wash and drain and fill the pot with fresh water and take it to a boil. Then throw in the chickpeas and cook on medium for 1-2 hours or until soft. Let them cool and they are ready to be added to the salad!
- 4 portions
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 25 Minutes
- Slice the eggplants into thick circles, spread them out on an even surface (e.g. baking tray) sprinkle some salt on top, and set aside. When ready, wash and pat dry and cut into cubes.
- In a medium pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat and fry eggplants until golden brown. Add more salt to taste. Reduce the heat to low, close the lid and let them simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then tip into the pan with the eggplant. Stir to combine and let the chickpeas become warm (5 min). When done, transfer to a serving bowl.
- Prepare the dressing. In a small mixing bowl add all the salad dressing ingredients and mix well. Alternatively, you can combine the ingredients in a jar, close the lid, and give it a good shake. Then use it to drizzle the salad. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and paprika, if you wish, and serve!
- This under 30-minute salad, can be served warm or at room temperature or cold. It’s even better served with halloumi or feta.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go