Ginger Kisses (whoopie Pies)
In New Zealand, there is a snack you can find at the supermarket, known as ginger kisses. Other parts of the world recognise it as a whoopie pie. It is basically two short domes of cake-y texture sandwiching a creamy filling or frosting.
As you can guess, ginger kisses are made of a gingerbread flavour, but you could make these into chocolate or any other flavour you'd like. There are also many flavour possibilities you could go with for the filling, but I chose a cream-cheese frosting as I felt like it balanced the ginger flavour nicely. This is a perfect tea-time snack and pretty simple to create!
- 20 pies
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 50 Minutes
For the cake sponge
For the cream cheese filling
For the cake sponge
- Preheat oven to 170C bake of 150C with fan. Prepare two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Sift flours, baking soda, ginger, all-spice and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until pale and fluffy (about two minutes).
- Add in the sugar and golden syrup if using, and continue mixing until combined well, and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, mixing well until incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients and continue mixing until well combined and you cannot see any dry flour left.
- Place batter into a piping bag cut or fitted with a round tip. Alternatively you can use a spoon to transfer the mixture onto the baking tray.
- Pipe or spoon round dollops about 1.5inches (or whatever size you prefer) in diameter, leaving 1 inch between dollops to allow room for the mixture to spread during baking.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 13 minutes. The batter will spread before rising slightly whilst baking, and should be golden brown in colour when ready to remove from the oven. Allow to cool before applying filling.
For the filling:
- Ensure that butter and cream cheese has come to room temperature. Cream together using electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Spoon or pipe onto one of the cake biscuits, and sandwich with another.
- You can store the ginger kisses in an air-tight container for three days at room temperature. You can also keep it in the fridge, but allow to sit at room for temperature for about half hour before consuming so the sponge is not so dry.