Everything Bagel Pretzel Cheese Dogs
A fantastic way to elevate your hot dogs is to turn them into Everything Bagel Pretzel Cheese Dogs. These are made with cheddar stuffed hot dogs wrapped in store bought pizza dough. To transform into pretzels is easy—quickly boil in a baking soda solution, apply egg wash, sprinkle on everything bagel seasoning, then bake.
Serve these dogs as is because they are delicious alone, but you can certainly enjoy them with your favorite condiment. They are perfect for lunch, a simple supper, kids’ parties, or a game day. Or make mini size to serve as appetizers and watch them disappear!
More information and additional images can be found at In Good Flavor.
- 6 Servings
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 17 Minutes|Total time: 37 Minutes
- Allow pizza dough to come to room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour. If dough is too cold, it will spring back when rolled and will be difficult to shape.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Roll the pizza dough into a rectangle at least 24-inches long and about 1/8-inch thick. Dust the work surface with a light coating of flour if the dough sticks and is hard to work with. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut out 6 strips (about 1/2-inch wide) lengthwise.
- Quarter the block of cheese lengthwise, then cut each in half to yield 8 strips. You will need only 6 of these strips, leaving 2 unused.
- Starting at the tip of the hot dog, slice it in half lengthwise, stopping 1/2-inch short on the opposite end, leaving it intact. Place a strip of cheese in the middle, sandwiching it inside the hot dog halves. Cut off the excess cheese sticking out at the tip.
- Add 5 cups of water to a medium saucepan. Add the baking soda. Stir until the baking soda dissolves. Bring water to a gentle boil.
- Meanwhile, take one strip of dough and wrap it around a hot dog by starting at the open end of the hot dog and working your way toward the other in a coiling motion. Tuck both loose tips of dough underneath an adjacent strip of dough, then secure to hot dog with a toothpicks. Repeat wrapping the remaining hot dogs.
- Carefully place one hot dog into the gently boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds. Using a large slotted spoon or spatula, remove the hot dog. Allow excess water to drip. Place on a paper towel lined surface. Repeat until all of the hot dogs are boiled. Remove all toothpicks. Transfer hot dogs onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon water to egg, beating well to make an egg wash. Brush onto the pretzel dogs. Sprinkle some everything bagel onto each dog. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- To push any cheese that has oozed out back into the hot dog after it is baked, let the cheese to cool off slightly for a minute or two. This allows it to firm up slightly to make it easier to work with. Using a chopstick or butter knife, push the cheese back into the hot dog.
- Preparation time does not include the 30 minutes to 1 hour for allowing the chilled dough to come to room temperature.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go