Pure mushroom magic
Creamy Mushroom Soup
I love soup. I love making it, and eating it, and serving it to family and friends. Soup is basically love in a bowl.
And this, is one of my favourite soups of all time. I love the intensely earthy flavours in this smooth cream of mushroom soup – it’s a classic. Make the most of mushrooms with this comforting mushroom soup recipe made with cream, onions and garlic. Serve for lunch or as a starter with crusty bread.
The secret to this deep, rich soup is a long, slow carmelisation, the key to unlocking the mushroom’s magic. This is just pure essence of mushroom.
Have a cup of soup with me
Carmelising my mushrooms - I assure you it's worth the wait!
- 6 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 60 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 10 Minutes
- Melt butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Once butter has melted, add mushrooms with a pinch of salt, cooking until the mushrooms have released most of their juices, about 10 minutes. Then, reduce heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring often, until juices evaporate & the mushrooms are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside a few mushroom slices for garnish later, if desired. ⠀
- Mix onion into mushrooms and cook until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add flour into mushroom mixture, stirring often to remove raw flour taste. Add bay leaves, thyme/tarragon, garlic cloves and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. ⠀
- Remove bay leaves. Puree soup with a blender until smooth and thick.⠀If the soup is too thick for you, add some water/more stock to thin the soup to the desired level of thickness.⠀
- Stir in cream if using.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.⠀
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved mushroom slices.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go