Turkey Enchilada Lasagna
Enchilada meets lasagna. It doesn't get any better than this! Adam and I absolutely love cooking any sort of Mexican inspired dinner during the work week. Curious why? Honestly, because it's simple and can be healthy! We often times switch it up between taco night, enchiladas and Mexican rice bowls. Most recently, I made my Turkey Enchilada Lasagna; a simple and healthy twist on classic enchiladas.
My Turkey Enchilada Lasagna is a super simple and way less messy way to make enchiladas. There is absolutely no rolling or folding needed here. All you have to do is prep your meat and vegetables, then everything else is pretty much ready to go! Layer it in your baking dish just as you would with Italian lasagna recipe; sauce, carb, meat, cheese, veggies, repeat and dinner is almost ready!
Not only is this simple simple, but it is healthy. I was able to lighten up these enchiladas by swapping out the meat, adding vegetables, making my seasoning and choosing healthy and clean store-bought enchilada sauce. With this recipe, I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, as well as using whole wheat low carb tortillas in exchange for a classic flour tortilla.
Although I made a few healthy changes, the most important change I made for this recipe, in my opinion, is that I made the seasoning for the ground meat rather than using a store-bought option. By doing so, I was able to control the ingredients, seasoning and most importantly, the sodium; I often find the store-bought options are extremely salty! Lastly, I used an organic red enchilada sauce that I love - Simply Organic Red Enchilada Sauce. The ingredients are super clean and the flavor is extremely authentic; we love it! I linked it here through Amazon, but I have been able to find this at every major grocery store in my area like Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, Shop Rite and Wegmans, hopefully you can too!
If you love enchiladas, this is a recipe you need to bookmark and try ASAP! It's filled with healthy protein and fiber, vegetables and so much flavor. Consuming a balanced diet and eating healthy does not need to be complicated. It can be just as easy as layering flavors on top of flavors like this recipe; start easy and work your way up!
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 50 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium pan, add a little avocado oil and the ground turkey. Cook on medium heat.
- Once the ground turkey is almost cooked through, add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt & pepper to the ground turkey. Mix and set aside once finished cooking.
- In the same pan, add avocado oil. Add the baby spinach and diced yellow pepper. Sauté until the spinach is wilted and the peppers have softened slightly.
- Drain and run the black beans under water. Set aside.
- Grease the baking dish with olive oil or avocado spray.
- Add a thin layer of enchilada sauce and spread evenly across the bottom of the baking dish.
- Next, layer a whole wheat tortilla and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add your meat and black beans. Spread evenly across the tortilla. Then add your veggies.
- Top with more cheese and top with a whole wheat tortilla. Firmly press down on the tortilla to help flatten the surface so it is easy to continue to layer.
- Repeat this process until finished.
- When finished, top with enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven to bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes (covered).
- After 30-35 minutes, remove the aluminum foil. Place back in oven for an additional 10-15 minutes until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Once finished baking, remove and let sit for 2-3 minutes prior to cutting.
- After cooling, cut the enchilada lasagna as you would a pie or cake.
- Serve with a dollop of 0% plain greek yogurt, avocado and hot sauce.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go