Do you like stuffed cabbage?! I do, I do! It's not really an Irish dish to me, I am Russian and grew up with this staple dish.
Russian Style Stuffed Cabbage "Goluptsi"
Start with a pack of ground beef, a 1/2 cup of ground beef, chopped up herbs (parsley and scallions is what I usually go with), and egg and salt and pepper to taste.
Use a sharp knife to core a head of cabbage then place in hot water for the leaves to become soft.
Peel each leaf off the cabbage head and dip back in the water as it becomes too hard to peel easily. Be careful not to burn your self!
Lay out the leaves and place a table spoon of meat towards the bottom. Then fold it over on 3 sides and roll it up like a burrito.
Place all the rolled up Goluptsi( that's what they are called in Russian).
Any remaining leaves that are too small to stuff or when you run out of meat can be layered on top which helps it cook.
Pour water to just cover the top layer.
Add a cup marinara sauce on top.
Cook covered for 2 hours on low heat.
- 10 Goluptsi
- Prep time: 30 Minutes Cook time: 2 Hours Total time: 2 hr 30 min
- one head of cabbage
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs (scallions & parsley)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- mix the ground beef, herbs, rice and salt pepper in a large bowl
- meanwhile, core the head of cabbage and place in hot water for leaves to become soft
- peel the the leaves of the cabbage and stuff with 1 tablespoon of the meat, roll up like a burrito
- place in bowl and fill with water to just barley cover , add marinara sauce on top and cook on low heat for 2 hours