Elegant, beautiful and best of all, delicious!
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes With Peppermint Buttercream
Perfectly in time for New Years, these Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream and Chocolate Ganache Drizzle would be a delightful addition to any dessert tray or goodie basket! The homemade deep chocolate cupcakes have the wonderful addition of a little coffee (I did this to help boost the chocolate flavor). The cupcakes are intensely chocolatey, and have such a tender, moist crumb! Piled on top of the cupcake is a pretty mountain of peppermint buttercream frosting. This is my basic smooth and creamy buttercream frosting recipe that is flavored with a couple drops of peppermint extract. I finished the cupcakes off with a homemade dark chocolate ganache drizzle, and sprinkles of crushed candy canes. Even though these cupcakes look complicated, they really are easy - and, they taste even better than they look!
Easy homemade Peppermint Buttercream..... mmmmm!
The 1M tip makes piping the buttercream easy peasy!
The drizzle is a quick and easy homemade chocolate ganache.
- 24 Cupcakes
- Prep time: 60 Minutes|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 20 Minutes
For the cupcakes
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting
For chocolate ganache drizzle
For the cupcakes:
- Prepare by preheating oven to 350 degrees F, and placing cupcake papers in two regular muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, combine brown and white sugars, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined. Make sure any lumps are broken up.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, egg yolks, milk, sour cream, oil and vanilla extract; whisk until completely combined.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and until just combined.
- Pour in hot water and continue mixing until completely combined; about 1 minute or less if possible. The batter will be thin.
- Fill cupcake wrappers about 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean or with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.
For the peppermint buttercream frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a bowl, cream butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until thoroughly combined.
- Add vanilla and peppermint extracts, pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream. Beat for a few minutes, and add more heavy whipping cream until you get the consistency you desire.
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired (I used a 1M tip and made a swirl on the top of each cupcake).
For the chocolate ganache:
- Place your chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Pour heavy cream over the chocolate and place in the microwave for about one minute. Remove and stir.
- Microwave for 30 seconds more and when the chocolate has melted almost completely, allow it to sit for 1 minute more before stirring. Stir until you've reached a silky-smooth consistency.
- The ganache will cool as it thickens. Cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle ganache over frosted cupcakes. Top each cupcake with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes.
- You can sure use semisweet chocolate chips in place of the dark chocolate chips for the chocolate ganache.