The ease and convenience of having hot cocoa mix ready to go is so great!
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
In these cold weather months, a nice, warm and cozy mug of hot cocoa is a must - especially where I live in Northern Minnesota! I have two little girls, ages 6 and 4, and after an exciting romp in our snow piles, sledding down the hill, and cuddling with our outside kitties, the girls bring their little rosy cheeks inside and ask for "some hot cocoa with marshmallows, Mommy, please!"
I used to buy a big tub of hot cocoa mix, but a few years ago realized that it is actually really easy to make. When you make your own hot cocoa mix, you know exactly what is going into it, and you can even add different flavor variations. This homemade recipe never disappoints and the ingredients are easy to find. This cocoa is creamy, chocolatey, and everything hot cocoa should be!
Chocolatey, rich and creamy goodness!
My favorite liquid to make the hot cocoa is whole milk, but water or almond milk would work as well.
Make a batch of this Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix today, and your kiddos will thank you!
- 5 Cups mix
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 5 Minutes|Total time: 20 Minutes
- Whisk all ingredients together in large bowl. Working in batches (depends on the size of your food processor), pulse the ingredients in a food processor until the chocolate is finely ground (note: if your food processer is big enough, skip the big bowl and just place all the ingredients in the food processor at once).
- Store the dry mix in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- To make 1 cup of hot cocoa, put 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of hot water, hot milk, or hot almond milk. Top with mini marshmallows, of desired.
- Swap 1 cup of the dry milk powder for a dry flavored creamer for a delicious change! My favorite is dry amaretto creamer.