Sweetcorn Fritters With a Poached Egg and Sweet Chilli Halloumi
These sweetcorn fritters make the perfect breakfast stack. They are so versatile and can be served with eggs, halloumi, avocado, bacon, or even just a dollop of creme fraiche. I like these with fried eggs and a tangy salsa, in a mexican-inspired brunch too.
In this version, the sweet chilli halloumi makes a perfect topping, especially crowned with a perfectly poached egg.
I love this recipe because it's easy to scale up or down, depending how many people you are cooking for. Leftovers also make a great lunch or light dinner, eaten cold with smoked salmon or warmed up and served with a crispy green salad.
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 10 Minutes|Total time: 20 Minutes
For the fritters
For the toppings
- Mix together the flour, sugar and spices. Add the drained sweetcorn, chopped spring onion, sriracha, eggs and butter milk and mix together. Season with salt and a good grind of pepper. Stir through the chopped coriander
- Heat a frying pan to a moderate heat and add some neutral oil. Add dollops of the mixture (you are aiming for around 8 fritters so may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your frying pan) and fry for a couple of minutes before flipping and repeating on the other side. The fritter should be golden in colour. Keep the cooked fritters warm in a low oven until they are ready for stacking
- For the guacamole, mash the avocado with a fork, add the juice of a lime and the salt
- Add the sliced halloumi to the frying pan and fry until golden. Flip over and spread the sweet chilli sauce all over one side to create a glaze
- Poach the eggs for 3 minutes each in lightly boiling water and a drop of white wine vinegar. You may find it easier to do each egg one at a time, poaching for 2 1/2 minutes each before adding to a bowl of cold water. Once all the eggs are poached, add them back to the boiling water for 30 seconds to heat through
- Once all the components are ready - it's time to stack! Add two fritters to each plate, add the guacamole, halloumi slices and poached egg. Garnish with coriander, chopped spring onions and a sprinkling of paprika
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go