Dont be afraid to put the garlic in whole, everything will cook down to a great soupy texture and it will give the soup a great kick
Orange Lentil Soup
It’s winter time, which means it’s time to make soup!
I love making soup during the winter months, it warms the entire house with a winter smell that brings in the feel of winter we wait for all year round.
I love to make soup out of almost every vegetable, grain, or legume. Aside from it being delicious, soup it’s extremely nutritious.
This recipe of lentil soup I make with only orange lentils, I use a technique where I grate carrots and cook them for a couple of minutes in boiling water with garlic and then cook the lentils in that water. It gives a great flavor to the water, and also adds to the color of the soup.
This soup is so simple, which makes it something you can make in no time, you don’t need a blender, or food processor. In this recipe I simply cook all the ingredients together and the lentils break up on there own. Which also brings a nice chunky like texture to the soup.
You can choose whichever garnish you wish for soups, in this lentil soup I added garlic croutons, and diced ham that I quickly sautéed in olive oil.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Grated carrot sautéed in olive oil
Cooking the carrots and garlic in the water
- 2 Liter
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 35 Minutes|Total time: 45 Minutes
For the soup
- Using a medium size pot add the grated carrot to the pot and sauté for about 2 minutes in the olive oil
- Add the water and garlic cloves and let boil for about 10 minutes so the carrot flavors and juices combine with the water.
- Switch the fire to low heat Add in the lentils and cook until the lentils are completely soft. About 20/30 minutes
- Then add in chopped cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper to taste and let it sit for about 10 more minutes so all the flavors combine
- If you are a garlic and cumin lover you can always add more then the recipe calls for.
- This soup is delicious as is but of course a nice fresh Garnish doesn’t hurt. Smoked meat is recommended and of course you cant go wrong with croutons. If you have some old bread in the house you can dice it up, mix with a little bit of oil and some crush garlic and salt and bake for about 10-15 minutes and you’ve got yourself homemade garlic croutons
- Always be careful when making lentil soup to cook at a low heat, and always stir I’m the soup so the lentils don’t stick to the bottom of the pan and burn