The classic British cottage pie consists of a layer of tasty beef mince with carrots and peas, topped with mashed potato and a cheese topping.
Traditional Cottage Pie
This easy to make, classic British cottage pie recipe never fails me. It's one of the few British meals I regularly cook but it is the ultimate comfort food for cold winter nights.
Tasy beef mince is flavoured with a rich beef stock and zingy Worcester sauce, cooked with onions, carrots and peas. A smooth and creamy layer of mashed potatoes is spread in top before a cheesy, crispy golden cheese topping is added which really steals the show!
Loved by all the family, this is a great dish for sharing or you can make smaller individual portions and freeze any leftover mince.
Perfect served as it is with a side of extra vegetables.
A crispy golden cheese topping takes this dish to the next level as an ultimate comfort food.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 90 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 40 Minutes
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees celcius.
- Heat a frying pan until hot and add the oil, followed by the onions and carrots.
- Gently cook for 5 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add the beef mince and cook for 5 minutes until it is fully cooked through.
- Add the Worcester sauce, followed by the beef stock and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then add the frozen peas and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced to a thicker gravy and the peas and carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pan of salted, boiling water and boil for around 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan and add the milk and butter, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy and there are no lumps.
- Spoon the beef mixture into a shallow casserole dish, then spoon the mashed potato on top to form a smooth layer.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with the cheese and cover with foil.
- Place in the centre of the oven and cook for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes until the cheese topping is golden and crispy.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go