Super tasty stew served over white rice.
Vegan Lentil Coconut Kabocha Stew
With the chilly weather coming, I love a hearty dinner that is also plant based. Sometimes I just need to break the monotony of meat and heavy meals like chili. Not only is this vegan, but it comes together super fast with the help of the instant pot. Bonus, it will heat up beautifully for lunch all week long. It is savory, spicy and totally satisfying. I served mine over steamed white rice (also made in the instant pot) and topped it with greek yogurt, a squeeze of lime, and some fresh cilantro. You can also serve with pita or naan.
Fresh ginger and turmeric make this dish extra special.
Ready to ladle up and serve!
- 6 servings
- Prep time: 8 Minutes|Cook time: 19 Minutes|Total time: 27 Minutes
- Start the Instant Pot on sauté. Add the oil and let it get hot. Saute the onion, ginger and turmeric (if using fresh, if it’s dried add with the spices in the next step). Cook 2 minutes until tender.
- Add the spices and toast for a minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and water. Scrape the bottom of the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the cubed squash, coconut cream and lentils. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high pressure for 19 minutes. (If you use red lentils instead, they cook faster. Cook for 8-10 minutes)
- Release pressure manually.
- Add the spinach and stir to combine.
- Serve over rice or with pita/naan. Top with cilantro, greek yogurt and fresh lime juice.
- Fresh ginger is key here! It really makes the difference.
- It makes great leftovers for a simple heat-and-eat lunch.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go