Don't forget to serve with extra tortilla chips!
Upside Down Nachos
This one-skillet meal is perfect for dinner any night of the week - don't feel obligated to make it for Taco Tuesday! The skillet starts with onions, peppers and garlic sautéed with ground beef (or do turkey!). Then add chipotle peppers and a ton of spices for maximum flavor. Stir in beans, rice and enchilada sauce and let it all simmer down on the stove until the rice is cooked. As is, you have a delicious all-in-one meal that you could scoop into some tortillas. But why stop there??? Cover the mixture with a layer of cheese, a layer of tortilla chips, and more cheese, then throw it under the broiler. This is the Upside Down Nachos part!!! And don't forget the toppings... scallions, cilantro, avocado, sour cream, a squeeze of lime! BAM!
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest Enchilada Rice Bake
Toppings can include scallions, cilantro, avocado and sour cream!
Delicious, crunchy, upside down nachos!
- 6 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 55 Minutes
- In an oven-safe skillet, sauté onion, pepper and garlic in 1 T olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add in 1 pound ground beef, chicken or turkey. Break up until meat is browned and almost cooked completely.
- Add in chipotle peppers and all spices. Stir to combine. Add in beans, water and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Once liquid is boiling, stir in rice. Reduce to a simmer and continue to stir occasionally, making sure rice does not stick to bottom of skillet. Cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- Top skillet with a layer of shredded cheese, then a layer of tortilla chips, then another layer of cheese. Watch carefully as you place under the broiler about 3 minutes. Place your oven rack no higher than the middle of your oven - you don't want the chips to burn!
- Carefully remove from oven and serve with toppings: scallions, cilantro, sour cream, avocado, a squeeze of lime, hot sauce and extra chips for scooping up all that deliciousness!
- Don't have an oven-safe skillet? That's ok! When the mixture is fully cooked, transfer it to a casserole dish, then layer on the cheese and chips before broiling.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go