Once the dough is ready (after it has been sitting quietly for at least 2 hours), I divided the dough into 8 pieces. Each piece was flatten into a square, and then I rolled in the sides, about an inch from each side, making a scroll.
Khachapuri - Traditional Georgian Dish of Bread and Cheese
Khachapuri is a well known Georgian dish amongst Israelis. It is a dish of cheese-filled bread, where the cheese (and egg) is in the middle and the bread crust allows you to rip it and dip in the hot cheese. It is perfect for cold days and somewhat easy to make.
I pinched the sides together, making a shape of an eye,
I filled the cheese in the middle of the "eye" and let it rest with the filling for 15-20 minutes before putting it in the oven.
After 20 minutes in the oven on 356 degrees, I moved some cheese around and created a hole. In that, I poured in the egg, on top of the cheese. And place it back in the oven for 10 minutes.
I let it cool down a bit before serving, but not to much as it is served extra-hot.
- 8 pieces
- Prep time: 3 Hours|Cook time: 35 Minutes|Total time: 3 Hours 35 Minutes
- Mix all dough ingredients in a mixer, excluding the salt. Mix for at least 6 minutes on high speed. Once it is a semi-sticky ball of dough, add the salt and mix for another 30 sec.
- make a dough ball and let it rest in an oily bowl for an hour
- after an hour, divide the ball into 8
- Let it rest for another 30 minutes
- take one ball (one of the 8) and flatten in on a flour-covered surface until it is a rectangle
- Roll in about an inch from each side, making it into a scroll
- Pinch in the scrolls from the sides, making an "eye" shape
- Let it rest in its shape for 10 minutes
- Heat up the oven for 356 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor
- Add the egg last and mix it in
- If it is too dry, add 1/4 cup of water (if the cheese is not fresh)
- Fill the "eye" shaped dough with the filling in the middle of the "eye"
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden
- remove from the oven
- make a hole in the cheese and add an egg in the middle
- place back in the oven for another 10 minutes
- If you do not have time to let the dough rest, place it near a fireplace or a heater and deduct half the time
- If you like sunny-side-up/raw egg, remove it from the oven after 5 minutes