Roasting the cooked butternut squash to get that wonderful caramelized flavor!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup With Sourdough Sage & Parmesan Croutons
Roasted butternut squash soup-my favorite soup. I created this in college and I am so happy to share with you now. There have been some improvements I have made over time. For instance, I used to puree this with a blender…made quite an explosive mess of butternut squash all over my apartment walls. Let’s just say I have since learned what an immersion blender is and it’s become one of my most precious kitchen tools.
This puree includes the important topping of homemade sourdough croutons. Fresh shaved parmesan and sage top these delicious, carby bread bites to bake up and add the perfect contrasting texture and crunch to your soup.
It is creamy and decadent without using any cream or dairy. It can even be entirely vegan if you omit the chicken bouillon and cheesy croutons. Make it today! I promise your family will be asking for this again.
Preparing to roast the sourdough croutons. Look at all that cheese !
Your finished soup, a true labor of love, is ready to wow!
- 4 bowls
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 2 Hours|Total time: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Cooking and Roasting the Squash
Sourdough Sage and Parmesan Croutons
Butternut Squash Soup
Cooking the Butternut Squash
- Heat oven to 425.
- Slice the squash in half long-way, then again once or twice more across. You should have 4-6 hunks of squash. Clean out the seeds in the inside and toss (or roast on the side)!
- Fill an oven-safe baking dish (I usually use a 9x11 roasting pan) with water about halfway. Place the squash flesh-side down in the water. The water will steam and cook the squash.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until a knife slides easily through the top of the skin with no resistance.
Butternut Squash Puree
- While the squash is steaming in water bath, dice onion, celery, and garlic.
- Begin to sauté the onion and celery in the EVOO on medium for about 10 minutes until fairly softened.
- Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the 4 C water and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce, simmer, until squash is done cooking and ready to be peeled/roasted.
- Now add in the roasted butternut squash to soup pot, bring heat to medium. Cook for about 10 more minutes and turn off the burner.
- Flavor with salt/pepper as needed.
- Let coup cool for about 10 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to puree the soup mixture.
- Dip into bowls and top with croutons.
Roasting the Butternut Squash
- Let cool from the steaming in the oven, peel off skin.
- Rough chop the squash into large cube shapes.
- Put on prepared baking sheet with foil, EVOO, salt/pepper, sage.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until slightly showing some browning at 425 degrees.
- Tear the bread into rough pieces and place onto prepared baking sheet with foil and EVOO.
- Add the bread, torn sage leaves, salt/pepper, and about 1/4 C shredded parmesan. Drizzle with a bit more oil and bake at 425 for 8-12 minutes, until starting to crisp.
- Once done baking, set aside croutons.
- If you don't like a lot of sage, don't add as much
- You can make this vegan by changing the chicken bouillon to vegetable bouillon and omitting the croutons
- If you would rather use 4 C chicken broth instead of the water and bouillon, you can do that as well but I don't think the flavor is as good
- If you don't have sourdough, use a baguette! Any thick bread will do. No parmesan? Use asiago or leave the cheese off.
- Once your oven is preheated to 425, you will use it for 3 different steps in this recipe, so just keep it on!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go