Halloween doesn't have to be spooky to be fun!
Chocolate Mummy Cake With Buttercream Frosting Bandages
Halloween is all about dressing up in whimsical costumes and sweet treats, at least at my house. Actually, I can do without the costume and just have the sweet treats. Candy, cookies and of course cake and cupcakes. This homemade mummy cake is a great addition to your Halloween gathering; it is an easy and delicious treat to make for your friends and family.
The best part, you can make cupcakes or a cake and let the kids decorate and make their own mummy. This mummy cake made with rich chocolate cake, sandwiched with layers of frosting and creamy buttercream frosting bandages topped with Oreo cookies and M & M eyes.
This friendly mummy is sure to make your guests smile.
Bandages are easy to make and if you don't like the way they look you can scrape them off and start again.
- 1 Cake
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 30-35 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 15 Minutes
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Directions for Cake
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9" round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, HERSHEY'S Cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer mix the butter and the powdered sugar beat until blended, then add salt, mix.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy, about another 3-5 minutes.
Decorating the Cake
- Once cake is completely cooled place one layer on a plate or a round cake board, spread with some of the white butter cream. Add the second layer of cake. Frost the entire cake with a thin layer of frosting(a crumb coat) and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime place a flat decorating tip (if you do not have a flat tip the one that makes rose petals is fine too) inside a cake decorating bag and then fill with frosting. Cut off the tip of the bag. Now make "bandages" with the frosting. I went around the cake and then did the top. The good news is that you cannot "mess up." If you do not like the way it looks simply scrape off the frosting and start again.
- Open the Oreo so that you have 2 halves, place on the cake for the eyes, and then add the two brown M&M's the the center.
- If your frosting is not "spreadable" add a little more heavy cream.
- If you do not want to make a cake from scratch use a box mix instead.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go