Easy Flaky Apple Pie
1 Hours 25 Minutes
If you have ever wondered how to make those flaky and tender Fall Apple Pies with beautiful designs, but always thought it was too hard, well this recipe is for you.
Those pies are actually easier to make than you think!
In this post I will be showing you step by step on how to achieve amazing looking pies with some easy techniques.
The best part about this pie though, it not only looks good, it also tastes delicious! You get a very flaky crust and at the same time, a flavourful tender filling without losing a little bite to the apples.
If you want to wow your guests at your next potluck get together, try this at home!
Check out my Youtube video to see how to decorate your own pie just like this one!
Before the oven shot!
- 1 Piee
- Prep time: 45 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 25 Minutes
- Place the flour and salt into a bowl and mix it together. Then add the cubed cold butter to the flour and using your fingers, crush the butter into the flour. Make sure to leave some small chunks, that is what creates the flaky crust.
- Once you have the butter mixed in the flour with some little chunks, start to slowly add the water and mix until all the ingredients are combined and you have a nice dough.
- Shape the dough into a big disk but not too thick, cover it with plastic and let it rest in the fridge for about 30mins or in the freezer for 15mins.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge/freezer, make sure it is not soft. Begin to work the dough to get it slightly soft, just enough to be able to open it up. Cut the dough in half.
- Using a rolling pin, open up one half, trying to keep it as round as possible to fit the pie pan. Roll it out to about a half inch thickness.
- Once that is done, place the opened dough on the bottom of your pie dish and cut off any hanging edges (you can put these pieces together and re roll it after).
- Make the apple filling and immediately place it on top of the raw pie bottom.
- Then repeat the same process with the other half of the dough, place it on top of the filling and seal the pie. You can decorate it whatever way you'd like. Make some leaves, straight lines, braids or just the regular sealed top with wholes in the middle. (Check out my video to see how I made that decoration)
- Peel and cut the apples into 1 inch slices, the thicker the apple slices, the crunchier your filling will be.
- Place the apples in a bowl and add all the filling ingredients in. Mix it all together and reserve in the fridge.
- Once the pie is sealed, brush the top with egg wash and then sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top.
- Pre heat the oven to 375°F and bake the apple pie for 40-45mins, until golden brown and nicely cooked.
- Make sure to use cold butter for the pie crust and don't crush them to a point where it complete dissolves into the flour. Keep some small chunks for a flakier crust.
- Roll the pie dough when it is cold and not warm.
- Make the apple pie filling right before assembly so the apples don't oxidize.
- Cut the apple to about an inch slices if you like a little bite to it, but if you prefer the filling more on the soft side, cut the apples thinner and smaller.
- The filling will be a little soupy on the bottom, if it is too much don't pour it all over the pie or it will make the bottom of the pie soggy.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go