Sticky Sesame Ginger Chicken with Jasmine Rice
Sticky Sesame Ginger Chicken
I don't like frying foods at home. It's a mess, it's smelly, and also I feel guilty about eating fried food! But when I go out to a restaurant or order carry out, you can bet there's something fried in my order. Usually French fries, but especially Chinese food. Don't you just love that crispy, sticky General Tso's chicken, or Sweet and Sour in a lovely batter? Yeah, me too. Stir fried chicken at home is healthier, but just doesn't taste the same! This method is a really good replacement! Tossing the chicken in egg and dredging in corn starch, and then BAKING it at a high temperature still gives you same taste without the mess or the guilt! The original recipe for this only calls for adding Brussel sprouts, but whenever I make stir fry, I've got to have lots of veggies. Coated in that same sauce, my kids will usually eat it! This dish was devoured, and I wish I had leftovers!!!
Original Recipe https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/sheet-pan-sticky-ginger-sesame-chicken/
Start by sautéing veg - hearty veg first like peppers and onions, then quick-cooking ones like shredded carrot and pea pods.
Toss chicken cubes in beaten egg, then dredge in corn starch with a bit of pepper.
Bake chicken at 475º for about 10 min.
Combine all sauce ingredients, then dump in the cooked chicken. Turn up the heat to make that sticky sauce, then toss in the veg.
I love serving it with it Thai Cucumber Salad (recipe from Dinner At the Zoo).
Top with scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve with Sriracha or other hot sauce if desired, and Jasmine rice! Enjoy!
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 40 Minutes
For the Sauce
For the Stir Fry
- Start by chopping and sautéing your veg. I use 1 T sesame oil, S&P. Start with hearty veg that take longer to cook: Peppers, onions, bottom parts of bok choy. Sauté a few minutes until tender-crisp, then add in quick cooking veg like shredded carrots, pea pods or edamame and tender bok choy leaves. Remove from pan when done cooking.
- Prepare the chicken. Cut into bite size cubes and toss in one beaten egg to coat. Then dredge each piece of chicken in corn starch, shaking off excess. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray, place chicken on pan, then spray chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 475º for about 10 minutes. Chicken will look pale and may have some corn starch on it, that's ok.
- While chicken is cooking, make the sauce in the same pan where you cooked the veg. Dump in all the ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- When chicken is done, toss into sauce and turn up the heat. The corn starch will combine with the sauce to make a thick, sticky glaze. Be careful not to burn it! Toss in the veg and you're done!
- Garnishes include scallions, cilantro, peanuts, sesame seeds, hot peppers, sriracha or other hot sauce. Serve with jasmine rice!
- Serve with jasmine rice. For busy weeknights, my favorite hack is Trader Joe's frozen microwaveable packets of jasmine rice! Fluffy and delicious every time!!!
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go