My husband and I were talking today and we were wondering why Peanut Butter cookies have the little fork "hashtag" mark on them. According to Spoon University, " In 1936 a Pillsbury recipe called for the fork marks for Peanut Butter Cookies but gave no explanation as to why." They go on to say " Peanut Butter cookie dough is denser than other cookie dough. Putting hash marks flattens them for more even baking." There are some who say that it is to let people know that these cookies have peanuts in them, in case they are allergic... or at least that's what I heard that somewhere.
Creamy Peanut Butter Cookies
Do you have a favorite cookie? I have never really had a favorite cookie. But my youngest daughter, Kelsi, really enjoys a good Peanut Butter Cookie and she swears that these are the best cookie I make!
Over the years I have gone back and forth using Creamy Peanut Butter and Super Crunchy Peanut Butter. I have decided that there is no wrong answer here. Use what you like best!
I like to fill my cookie jar once a month with a different cookie. Sometimes, you just need a little something to tide you over to dinner, a cookie is just the thing!
Cookie recipe inspired by Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book 17th Edition
- 18-24 Cookies
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 9-14 Minutes|Total time: 33 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Prepare the cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets
- Beat: Butter, shortening and peanut butter on medium for about 1 minute then dd brown sugar, granulated sugar. Beat in eggs and add vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine: flour, baking soda, baking powder
- Combine the dry ingredient to the wet. Mix at slow speed until combined.
- Shape dough into a ball and roll it in some granulated sugar if you want, I do.
- Place on cookies sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart and make the hash mark on the top of the dough with a fork.
- Bake for about 9-14 minuets or until the edges start to turn a light brown color.
- You can use either Creamy Peanut Butter or Super Chunky Peanut Butter. I have made them with both and they come out great.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go