These are easy to make, but there's a lot of chopping. That's the most time consuming part.
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I miss PF Chang's chicken lettuce wraps, but his recipe is a close substitute. The onus is that it has a lot more vegetables.
I like to serve it almost like a taco bar with different toppings so everyone can choose the ones they like. I like all of the veggies - carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, onions. My son just likes the chicken, lettuce and carrots.
It also makes great leftovers for lunch without the lettuce wraps. This is one of those dishes that taste's even better the second day.
The first step is to saute the ground chicken, onions and garlic. Drain off the excess liquid before adding the other ingredients.
Next step is to add the water chestnuts, red peppers and soy sauce mixture. This is the chicken, peppers and onions in the pan. To see more photos of each step, click through to see the blog post.
Optional toppings for the wraps are green onions, cucumbers, carrots and a tangy cabbage salad.
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 30 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 45 Minutes
- Wash your lettuce leaves and set them on a towel to dry.
- Chop up your cucumbers.
- Chop cabbage into thin strips and put it in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper. This makes into a slaw.
- Dice yellow onion and garlic.
- Dice red bell pepper and green onion.
- Rough chop mushrooms and water chestnuts - I like to buy the mushrooms already sliced and just run the knife through them a few times.
- If you didn't buy shredded carrots, chop a carrot into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan (large enough to hold 2lbs of chicken).
- Add chopped yellow onion and garlic to the oil and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Add ground chicken and cook approximately 10 minutes until no longer pink. Use a spoon to drain off the excess liquid (broth) as much as possible. The chicken generates a lot of broth.
- Add red bell pepper, chopped mushrooms and water chestnuts to chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes while you make the sauce.
- In a bowl combine the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), hoison sauce, honey and crushed red pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps. Add a scoop of chicken mixture and any of these toppings: marinaded cucumber, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, green onions.
- Enjoy! To serve give each person a few lettuce cups and let them add the toppings they choose.
- This makes great lunch leftovers.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go