Used whole masoor dal in this recipe but you can simply use any lentils of choice, cooking time will vary. You can also use grains and legumes to make it one wholesome bowl.
Brown Lentil Salad
Dal Salad makes a hearty bowl. I love lentil and legume salads simply because they make a nourishing meal, are protein rich, of course taste delicious and so satisfying. I love playing around with ingredients, colors and flavors in salads, lentils salads are a house favorite, work well for meal prep and best when making a quick weekday meal.
Diced cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, sliced onions, lots of mint for some extra freshness and flavor and tofu cubes for some extra protein. Feel free to use veggies of choice like beans, peas, corn, some greens like lettuce or spinach. The dressing is simple and basic with some extra virgin olive oil and juice of a lime, quick and best.
Soaking of dal in hot water for at least 1 hour is highly recommended before cooking to have a better texture when cooking. If time permits, soak at least for 2 hours. You can pressure cook dal in Instant pot or a pressure cooker or even let it simmer on stove top in enough water.
Delicious, flavorful and satisfying.
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 10 Minutes|Total time: 30 Minutes
- Soak masoor dal (brown lentils) in hot water for 1 hour (2 hours preferred if time allows). In Instant pot or a pressure cooker, combine bay leaf, salt and water. Pressure cook in IP for 10 mins, natural release pressure or in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles
- Once dal is pressure cooked, drain water completely (reserve water to use later in soups or kneading dough) and run under cold water, keep aside.
- Dice tofu into cubes, cucumber, bell pepper and tomatoes, thin sliced onions and finely chop mint. Combine with dal and add 1 tsp black salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder , 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp olive oil, juice of 1 lime.
- Mix well, refrigerate for a while and ready to indulge.
- Soaking of dal in hot water for at least 1 hour is highly recommended to have a better texture. If time permits, soak for 2 hours.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go