Butternut Squash Kofta Curry served with Couscous.
Butternut Squash Kofta Curry
There are mixed feelings towards butternut squash in my family. I love it and my husband doesn't. My son's interest depends on how it has been cooked?
So every time I buy a butternut squash I have to innovate recipes. Believe me, I have cooked it in so many different ways that sometimes I think I should do a series.
One of the recipes that has been a hit in my family is Butternut Squash Kofta Curry. It is inspired by my Mom's long squash kofta recipe. It is easy to make and requires simple ingredients.
I still remember when I cooked it for the first time, my hubby couldn't even guess the main ingredient. He loved it and I gave myself a silent self pat.
This curry tastes best with rice, couscous, or naan bread. You can also eat dry koftas as snacks. I love it with masala tea.
Do give this recipe a try and let me know if you liked it.
How to shape Koftas?
- 15 Pieces
- Prep time: 20 Minutes|Cook time: 1 Hours|Total time: 1 Hours 20 Minutes
- Mix together all the ingredients and set aside.
- Heat 1 cup oil in a wok.
- Take a spoonful of kofta batter into your hand and shape into balls and place them into oil. (See video to see how to shape koftas).
- While frying keep flipping them occasionally. Take them out when they turn golden brown.
- Place on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- Fry in batches. Fry 7-8 koftas in one batch. Repeat until the batter is finished.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices (1 star anise, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 1 bayleaf, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds).
- Once cumin seeds crackle, add ginger garlic paste. Stir for a minute.
- Add onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes, turmeric, salt and red chilli powder. Cook by stirring occasionally till oil separates.
- Add spice mix, i.e., ( 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp garam masala powder)
- Cook till oil separates.
- Stir in cream and cook of a few minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring it to boil. You can add more water if you want.
- Your curry is ready. Add koftas just before eating.
- Instead of jalapeños you can use green chillies.
- For mild spice level don't add jalapeños/chillies and red chilli powder.
- If you don't have cream, you can skip it.
- If you don't have carom and nigella seeds, you can skip these.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go