Beef Stroganoff has a special place in all of our hearts. Creamy mushroom pasta with steak… Umm, yes please. This dish brings a whole new meaning to seconds and thirds. When thinking back, the times I’ve been painfully full before going to bed were almost always caused by this meal. That’s okay; I’m Italian. And let’s face it folks… If you’re not gorging yourself to the point of near death on dinner-- well, you’re just not Italian.
Either way, this dish isn’t Italian and now I’m just ranting. Fragment after fragment. I can see editors pulling their hair out. Where was I? BEEF STROGANOFF. Hey, enjoy this recipe folks. It’s a combination of my wife’s, my hanai mother’s and my very own. It’s exquisite and sure to make the rounds weekly at the dinner table.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 25 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 55 Minutes
- Set three large mushrooms aside and slice the rest about an eighth of an inch thick.
- Take off the root and stem of the onion and slice in half, then lengthwise for strips.
- Heat two large skillets. In one, add 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of Canola oil and heat till it’s just shimmering. Slice the three mushrooms you set aside lengthwise, an eighth of an inch thick, set into the pan and leave alone. If you mess with the mushrooms they’ll steam and never toast up. We’re looking for a sear on both sides. Pull out and set on a rack to crisp drain off any excess oil and crisp up.
- Slice your beef into long strips, put into a large zip-lock bag and dredge with flour by shaking the bag until all the beef is coated. Add them to the other hot pan and brown on all sides. Season them while they’re in the pan. Take out and set aside.
- Add onion and mushrooms to the pan and saute until slightly brown. Put the heat on full blast and add your brandy-- flambe.
- Pour both broths into the pan further deglazing, scraping all the goodies from the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add creme fraiche and allow to reduce on medium high heat until thick and creamy.
- Stir in lemon juice and steak before serving. Garnish with roasted mushrooms and a little parsley if you like.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go