Old Rag Pie
I’m sure you are going to be in love with this recipe, cause I am! Old rag pie is @nigellalawson recipe for Greek Patsavouropita which can be sweet or savory. I have eaten all kinds of pies all my life. I just loved this method so much because is so simple and fast to put it together. The idea of this pie comes from bakers using leftover phyllo sheets. The best recipes are invented always by improvisation, using simple ingredients and the need not to waste. Maybe one day I’ll show my real skills of making homemade filo (phyllo). This pie is so delicious and can be customized with other flavors. Serve with a simple Greek salad, and “Hopa” dinner is complete.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 35 Minutes|Total time: 50 Minutes
- Preheat oven on 350 degree. Melt the butter.
- In a bowl whisk 2 eggs with the milk. Set aside
- Get a baking pan and start layering the phyllo sheets. Line 2 or 3 sheets on the bottom and drizzle melted butter. Make sure the filo it comes up the sides.
- Start tearing and scrunching 1/3 of the sheets to cover the entire pan.
- Spread crumbled feta, fresh thyme and drizzle melted butter. Repeat this process for one more layer.
- For the last layer just scrunch more filo, fold the corners and drizzle more melted butter.
- Cut the pie in squares with a knife. Pour egg mixture all over the pie.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool and serve with honey.
- The pie can even be made one day ahead and bake the next day.
- Also , if you like to freeze it. cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze to have it ready for busy night.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go