Everyday Cauliflower Steel Cut Protein Oats
Cauliflower Steel Cut Protein Oats: A high-protein oatmeal made with a hidden cup of cauliflower rice for added bulk, veggie intake and nutrition! It’s my everyday breakfast and might just turn into yours too.
Why “everyday”? Because I have steel cut oats with protein powder each and every day for breakfast. Yes, every day without fail. So much so, that when I went on a business trip to Orlando a last year, I cooked 5 days worth of oats and took it with!
And because I love it so much, I add riced cauliflower in there to give it extra bulk because it doesn’t change the taste one bit, but adds more nutritional benefit.
How’d I go about this part on that trip? Packed my mini 1½ cup food chopper in my suitcase and bought a head of cauliflower on the way to my hotel.
- 2 Cups
- Prep time: 2 Minutes|Cook time: 25 Minutes|Total time: 27 Minutes
Add-ins and Toppings:
- Bring water to boil in a saucepan.
- Stir in the oats and bring to a boil again.
- Cover with a lid, reduce heat to a low simmer, and let cook 20 minutes (or longer if needed) until soft and creamy. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- If oats get too thick, add water to thin it out.
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor and until finely ground into “rice” form.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for about 30 seconds.
- Add cauliflower and protein powder to oats and stir gently with folding motions (you don't want to make it mushy!). Add water 1 Tbsp at a time to thin.
- Re-heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Top with all your favorites and serve hot!
- Storage: Cool oats completely before storing. Add cauliflower and protein powder only when serving. Optionally, portion out into individual serving sizes. Fridge: In an airtight container for 1 week. Freezer: In an airtight container for about 3 months. Thaw overnight before consuming.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go