Crispy Fluffy Sweet Potato Protein Waffles
Soft and fluffy Sweet Potato Protein Waffles with a perfect crispy edge! These healthy waffles are made with mashed sweet potato, protein powder and whole wheat flour and full of warm spices - a delicious breakfast indeed!
This was kind of an “I need to use up my leftover mashed sweet potato” recipe. I’d baked and mashed a ton of it at once because I don’t really like to wait for the baking thing when I have cravings.
But this time I got way hooked on chocolate-flavored stuff so these just remained in the fridge for like 4 days and were going to go bad.
So then there was me, coming up with a recipe and making waffles at midnight + doing a photo shoot so I’d be able to have them the next morning without wasting time then.
And yes, the shoot was required. Food Blogging + Photography > Sleep.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 2 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 17 Minutes
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, unflavored and vanilla protein powders, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mashed sweet potatoes, almond milk and eggs.
- Add wet mix to dry and gently fold to combine. Do not over-mix, the batter will be thick.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking oil spray.
- Scoop out ⅓ cup batter into middle of prepared waffle iron. Do not use too much, the batter will spread and waffle will rise a lot.
- Cook for 3½ minutes.
- Remove from waffle from iron and repeat with remaining batter, greasing each time.
- Drizzle on some Tahini or Nut Butter and serve hot with some fresh fruit!
- Use Garnet or Jewel sweet potatoes. They are orange-reddish on the outside, and mildly sweet.
- Make sure you let the sweet potato cool before going ahead with the recipe or it will scramble the eggs.
- To make mashed sweet potato: Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash and scrub sweet potato and piece all over with a fork about 10 times. Bake for about 35-45 minutes. Gently squeeze with an oven mitt to test if cooked. Return to oven at 10 minute intervals if firm.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go