Whisk the drys + zucchini
Spiced Zucchini Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting (Gluten-free)
A warm Zucchini Cake Spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, and topped with a sweet Cream Cheese Frosting - just the perfect Fall dessert. This delicious cake is beautifully moist and flavorful, and made with almond flour and coconut flour for keto, low carb and gluten free treat!I actually had no intention of baking this cake. The only reason I went for it was because I had about 3 zucchinis in my crisper drawer that had been there for a month.The last time I left them this long I ended up with a bag of mush. No way was I going to waste vegetable again - especially because I didn’t buy it on sale this time!Side note: I haven’t had the best experience making savories with Zuke - same mushy results - so I kinda had to go for something sweet. But hey, at least I’d be getting veggies in without tasting them right?
Add wet to dry
- 6 Pieces
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 50 min
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 9" x 5" baking pan with parchment paper.
- Finely shred zucchini using a large-hole grater or food processor. Press between paper towels or use a cheese cloth and squeeze excess moisture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder and salt.
- Add in zucchini and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, mashed sweet potato, applesauce, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently fold to combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out dry.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then lift out of pan using parchment lining. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 20-30 minutes.
- Let cake cook completely before frosting.
- If cream cheese is solid, place in a bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds to soften.
- Add in almond milk, vanilla and stevia sweetener and whisk until uniform.
- Spread on top of cake and slice!
- Squeeze the zucchini to remove all excess moisture. This prevents the cake from collapsing while it cools.
- To make mashed sweet potato: Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash and scrub sweet potato and piece all over with a fork about 10 times. Bake for about 35-45 minutes. Gently squeeze with an oven mitt to test if cooked. Return to oven at 10 minute intervals if firm.
- To make this vegan, substitute egg with flax egg (2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp water + rest 10 minutes).
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go