Healthy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
These enchiladas are just so simple, easy and YUMMY to pass up on! We might have to replace (some) Taco Tuesday for Enchilada Tuesday at this point. We love salsa verde sauce because of the extra pucker, combined with the cheese it’s the BEST. The slight kick from the jalapeño adds a nice dimension to the dish as well. If you don’t “do” spice, remove the seeds and it will substantially decrease the spiciness of the dish.
For an easy weeknight meal, use pre-made enchilada sauce, because you need all the help you can get and there’s no shame in that. We used Frontera salsa verde enchilada sauce, but use whatever is your favorite, and within 30 minutes you’ll have a delicious meal for everyone.
Sub in zucchini, black beans, or sweet potatoes instead of chicken for a vegetarian version.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 35 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray your baking dish with some oil.
- Heat oil in a hot skillet, start sauteing onion, jalapeno and garlic until softened. Pour in 1 packet of sauce, bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken thighs to sauce, and chicken stock, close lid and let chicken cook through. About 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Since our tortillas were pliable enough, we didn’t heat it first. But if yours isn’t, heat up your tortillas in between some kitchen towels for about 20 seconds in the microwave.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred into bite-sized pieces. Return to pan and mix into sauce
- Working with 1 tortilla at a time, start spooning about 2 tbsp of chicken in the middle of the tortilla, topping with about 1 tbsp of cheese, drizzle on a little sauce from the pan, then roll up the ends to make a roll. Place it in your baking dish, seam side down. Repeat this for the rest of the chicken and tortillas.
- Once all your tortillas are snuggled in place in the baking dish, drizzle on the other packet of enchilada sauce, getting it into every nook and cranny. Sprinkle on remaining cheese. Place baking dish into oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted on top and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle on cilantro and jalapeno for garnish.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go