Keema matar - aromatic beef mince curry with basmati rice
Keema Matar is a minced meat curry that typically uses minced lamb, but I also like to cook it with beef. I find this recipe to be a great way to use minced beef when you're bored of the usual chilli or bolognaise and the mince takes on the warm, aromatic flavours of the spices so well.
This dish requires very little prep and is also a very lean and healthy curry option as it doesn't use any cream, butter or yoghurt like so many other curries.
So why not give it a try and spice up your mince tonight!
Aromatic spices are toasted which brings tons of flavour to the mince!
Try something different with your mince tonight!
- 2 Servings
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 45 Minutes
- Heat a wok until hot and add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cardamom pods and star anise. Simmer for 1-2 mins until fragrant.
- Add the onions, garlic & ginger and a good pinch of salt.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 8 mins until the onions are soft & golden.
- Add the beef mince and stir fry until the meat is fully cooked.
- Cover & simmer over a low heat for 5 mins until the meat has dried out a little.
- Add the ground spices, fenugreek leaves & another pinch of salt.
- Cook uncovered for 8 mins to allow the meat to take on the flavour of the spices.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the pan starts to bubble, add the frozen peas and simmer for 10 mins, until the sauce has reduced to a thick gravy like texture.
- Stir in freshly chopped coriander, reserving some for garnish.
- This dish works great with both lamb and beef mince.
- If you don't have
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go