Enjoy this Kale Haloumi Salad as a side with your favorite dish!
Haloumi Kale Salad With Avo Toast
Whenever I see a kale salad on a restaurant menu I get excited because I know it's going to be packed with lots of ingredients. The great thing about kale (apart from its health benefits) is that it is such a hearty green that it can take being mixed together and tossed around with lots of ingredients without getting sad and soggy. I also love kale salads because you can keep them as leftovers without worrying about soggy greens the next day. In fact, I tend to like kale even more the next day when it has absorbed the dressing and flavors of other ingredients.
This kale salad and avocado toast extra good because of the HALOUMI cheese. Haloumi is a salty and firm cheese that is made of a mixture of goat and sheep's milk. This is the perfect cheese for pan searing, frying and grilling because it will caramelize on the outside, gooey in the inside and hold its shape. Which also makes it an excellent topper for avocado toast!
I think the salad and toast make for an excellent lunch or dinner or can be enjoyed as sides to any dish!
This salad was part of a fun themed dinner that I made that focused on dishes from Australia. For the full dinner post check out my blog post at :
This Kale Haloumi Salad was the perfect veggie dish for this meal!
Haloumi Avocado Toast!
- 2 Servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 30 Minutes
For the Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and slice your sweet potato into half circles. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes, tossing half way through the cooking time.
- Wash and dry your kale and cut into bite sized pieces. Using scissors is great option for cutting your kale. Place your kale into your large salad bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon onto your kale and gently massage the kale with your hands to work the lemon juice into the kale.
- While the kale sits, cook your haloumi. Slice your haloumi cheese into 1/4 inch thick slices. Preheat a pan to medium heat and place your haloumi cheese. Let the cheese fry for 2 minutes on each side. You will see it turn a golden brown.
- Toss the rest of your salad ingredients together into the kale bowl: cranberries, sunflower seeds, roasted sweet potato. Top with haloumi cheese (set a few slices aside for toast). Add a salad dressing of your choice!
- Toast your bread to your preferred level.
- Mash 1/2 an avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add crushed red pepper if you like an extra kick!
- Split the avocado between two pieces of toast and spread evently. Top with remaining haloumi cheese!