Delicious baked bell peppers stuffed with pork, rice and cheese!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
These bell peppers are packed with a meaty mix of beef & pork and sprinkled with parmesan cheese which melts and gives a crispy golden topping.
A rich tomato sauce is cooked in the oven first which the peppers are cooked in until they become soft and delicious!
These stuffed bell peppers make a satisfying, colourful dinner and the recipe below fills 8 whole peppers perfectly.
The filling is also suitable for freezing which would make this a speedy meal in future if you had any leftover to use another day.
A rich tomato sauce is prepared for the peppers to cook in.
A delicious filling of pork sausage, rice, breadcrumbs, herbs and spices.
Peppers are stuffed full of a delicious filling before being baked in the oven until soft.
The peppers are given a cheesy topping before being placed in the oven to allow the cheese to melt and become crisp and golden.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes|Cook time: 1.5 Hours|Total time: 1 Hours 45 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- If you don't have any prepped already, cook long grain rice according to packet instructions and leave to cool.
- Slice the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds and membrane with a spoon.
- Carefully trim the bottoms of the peppers, just enough so it can stand up straight on a flat surface but without creating any holes in the bottom.
- Cut the stalks out of the pepper tops, leaving a hole in the middle.
- Heat a frying pan until hot and add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the sliced onion and half of the garlic. Cook gently for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the passata and basil leaves and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Leave the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Transfer the passata to an oven-proof casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef mince, sausage meat, diced onion and the remaining garlic.
- Add most of the parmesan and parsley, reserving a little to sprinkle on top of each pepper.
- Add 3 tbsps. of the passata mixture to the bowl and season everything with salt and pepper. Mix everything together well.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixing bowl and mix everything together again until it is all well combined.
- Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper until they are all tightly packed to the brim.
- Spoon 1 tbsp. of the passata onto the top of the meat in each pepper, before topping with the pepper lid.
- Place the peppers in the dish with the passata, stood upright and cover with foil.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil and discard the pepper lids.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top of the peppers and bake, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and is crisp and golden.
- Top with remaining parsley as a garnish and serve immediately.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go