I love making this chocolate cake. I've had this recipe written down for many years and I don't know where it originally came from, but most of my friends have a similar recipe. The secret to this chocolate cake is boiling water. Mixing in boiling water right before it goes into the oven helps keep this cake super moist and delicious.
It's also super versatile. You can bake it in rounds and add layers of fresh strawberries and whipped cream, or bake it as cupcakes and top it with frosting and preserved cherries. I also like to dip the tops of the cupcakes in a dark chocolate ganache and then dip them in sprinkles for some fun birthday cupcakes!
- 20 Pieces
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 50 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 360F.
- Grease the cake pans (or line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners if you're making cupcakes).
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add in wet ingredients (except for the boiling water) and mix.
- Add boiling water and mix well.
- Pour into tins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cupcakes take less time, generally around 15-20 minutes but keep an eye on them.
- The original recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar but I've found 1 1/2 to be more than enough. You could reduce it even further, to around 1 cup, but I wouldn't use less than that.