This is a big batch recipe, I like to freeze them and pull them out of the freezer for when guests pop in or as a mid-week treat for our family. You can cut the recipe in half. These are delicious and you won't taste any difference with the spelt flour. Also, no refined sugar in the dough!
Spelt Cinnamon Buns
2 hr 20 min
- 36 Servings
- Prep time: 2 Hours Cook time: 20 Minutes Total time: 2 hr 20 min
- 8 Cups whole spelt flour
- 1 TB. active dry yeast
- 1/2 C. Honey
- 2 1/4 C. warm water
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 C. of oilve oil (canola oil will work well too)
- 1 TB. Salt
- 1.5 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 TB. canola oil
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 TB of boiling hot water
- 1.5 Cups canola oil
- 4 C Brown Sugar
- 8 Tb. cinnamon
- Mix the yeast, honey, water and 1.5 Cups of flour in a large bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Then, add in the eggs, oil and the rest of the flour and salt and mix by hand or by mixer for 5-6 minutes. It will be sticky.
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 2 hours
- Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Oil a cookie sheet or 4 round pans.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces
- Note: Becasue it's spelt the dough is sticky and a bit challenging to work with. Sprinkle a generous amount of flour onto your counter. Roll out the dough into rectagle shapes, aproximately 20 x 18-inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle approximatley 1 1/4 cups of the filling over each rectangle, make sure it's spread evenly.
- Roll each rectangle onto a log.
- Cut into 12 equal portions, it will be sticky.
- Place the rolls into the pans, spacing just slightly apart apart on a baking sheet or round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
- Pour the icing over the cinammon buns and enjoy!
- Be patient with the spelt dough, it's sticky!