Kneading by hand is easier than you think.
The Easiest No-Mixer Challah Recipe!
We're a HUGE fan of homemade challah bread in our house. I put off making it for years because I hate dragging out the mixer, and it just seems like such a huge hassle overall. That is, until a friend shared her recipe with me that made making Challah an absolute JOY! I made a few adjustments to the recipe (we like it REALLY sweet ;) ), and make this almost every week now.
Check out that rise!
2 strand braids
- 6 Pieces
- Prep time: 1 Hours|Cook time: 20 Minutes|Total time: 1 Hours 20 Minutes
The Easiest No-Mixer Challah Recipe
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water in a large bowl, and stir gently. Set aside for the yeast to proof, 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine eggs, oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add egg mixture to yeast mixture.
- Begin adding flour slowly. Mix in bowl until the dough becomes too thick to mix with a spoon.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead by hand for 5 - 8 minutes until your dough is well mixed.
- Return to bowl, cover and set aside to rise until doubled in size (roughly 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove dough from bowl, and knead another 2 - 3 minutes. Divide into 6 equal sections and shape as you'd like.
- Put 2 loaves each on a greased cookie sheet, or a sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise another 20 - 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg and cook for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Enjoy!
- There are SO many ways you can braid challah, try 2, 3, 4, even 6 strand braiding!